Saturday, April 12, 2008

So do you really think you can change the world?

I proposed this question to myself a few days ago, and I've been pondering it for quite a while.

Will I?
Can I?

If so, how?
How could I possibly change the world?

Would it be long-term?
Or would I change the world we wake up to tomorrow?

Would it be indirect?
Or would it be me who does the direct changing?

Maybe the one breath that provides enough oxygen for a flower to bloom, that flower is picked and sent off to a small girl enduring chemo therapy and the simple courteous gesture of a stranger causes a tear to fall from her eye and gives her the strength to move on, to get through her pain. This small girl grows up to be a famous scientist who eventually finds the cure for cancer.

Maybe my words can be the source of inspiration for a sad cutter- Who, in turn, gives up their self-mutilation and goes on to be a great performer.

Maybe I'll go on to be the children's occupational therapist that I long to be, and I'll change some poor disabled child's life. I would go on changing more and more lives, possibly write a Pulitzer-Prize winning book on my accomplishments, become world famous for my life-changing actions and eventually win a Nobel Peace Prize.

Maybe I'll be an example for other people- That just because they're a mess on the inside, that doesn't mean that they can't take a stand and do what they so desire to do. That they don't have to hurt themselves for attention. That they can make as much of a difference in the world as you and I can. That they don't have to sit, watching the world pass them by. That they can be a universe-changing person, if only they set their minds to it.

The mind is a beautiful thing.
It doesn't matter how pretty or intelligent you are.
It doesn't matter what your education already is.
It doesn't matter how much you've already changed the world.

It just matters that you stand up and gain the education or intelligence or whatever it is that you need so that YOU can change the world.

If I can, then so can you.

1 comment:

Zebraman said...

You CAN changed the world! I've written seven books, write magazine columns, speak all over the world, and I didn't have my act together at your age as well as you do now. You can do way better than I've done! Ms President - of Canada perhaps? (grin)

First, you have to believe in youself. This is hugely important.

Second, you have to focus on what you do and produce, not how you feel. When you look at your life, your accomplishments are measured by what you have DONE. No amount of wishful thinking or good intentions will actually get things accomplished. Similarly, if I'd focused on how I felt, I'd have given up way back when your mom and I split up (if not before then). I could'a played sad records and cried all day (not that I didn't do a lot of that), but that wouldn't have kept y'all fed and the house paid for.

Third, you have to gain some special skills and knowledge. Once you know something that's uncommon, you become uncommonly special. Aim for acquiring that during your now and in your college years.

You'll be unstoppable!