Sunday, February 24, 2008

Demonwoman.

Ok, so I know I haven't updated in a while. So I'll start with the newest thing and the (sort of) worst thing.

Well, in my last post you see that I have a new boyfriend. He's not quite so new anymore, being as it's been like a month and a couple weeks. First off, his name is Timmy, he's a freshman and he's 14. Like me. He has 3 siblings (all younger)- Erin, who's 13-years-old and in 8th grade. Luci, who's 7-years-old and in 2nd grade. And Matt, who's 6-years-old and in 1st grade. So his family is sort of like mine, with 2 sets of kid, but instead of being 2 years apart, it's just one. His mother's name is Gail and his father's name is Tim. Yes, Timmy's a junior.

Aaaaaaanywaaaaysss... So his mom, Gail, did (or still doesn't, I'm not sure) not like me. She said that I'm "punk" and she didn't like that my hair's black and so on and so forth. Basically, everything she had to say about me was total B.S. She was just pulling stuff out of her big, critical butt. Of course, she was nice to my face, but as soon as I was gone, it was just "Emily's a punk! Her whole family's punk! I don't like what she's doing to you! MEHMEHMEH!" AUGH! It was awful! And she like even almost banned Timmy from seeing me almost completely.

So, one day, I went to Providence (the local outside mall-ish hangout place) with Timmy and his mom and all his siblings. Timmy, Erin and I went to see 'Jumper' and his mother took his younger siblings to see 'Spiderwick', I believe. We went to Books A Million and had a nice time...that is, until we left and Timmy's mother saw a group of emo/scene kids hanging around and started calling them things like "freaks" and "dissapointments" and also saying things like "they'll never get a job when they grow up" and "what do they plan on doing with their lives??", basically aiming these things towards me.

I began to argue with her and my whole point was pretty much that you can't judge a book by it's cover. Of course, even though she's an adult and shouldn't be argueing with a 14-year-old, she just kept right on blabbering nonsense. Like, of course I'll be critical once and a while with things like, "Oh, her outfit isn't cute," or something like that, but I'm not about to say that they're a bad person because of it.

Long story short, I realized that there was no hope in trying to convince her that just because some people dress different, they aren't bad people. And I stepped up and was the bigger person and kept coming back with things that she just couldn't argue back with. She was trying to come back with things to say to strike me down and disprove me or something, but I would just say things like, "I completely understand your opinion and it's valid and I can appreciate it," and whatnot. At one point I said something like, "Well, I'm just a kid and all I want is for people to like me. I mean, I get good grades, I volunteer, I've been on mission trips, I go to church, my dad's a Sunday school teacher (for Pete's sake!)...". And she basically gave up and said, "Well, I do like you...".

And all I could think was, "YES! VICTORY!"
I'd won the demonwoman over and there was nothing she could do about it.

2 comments:

KellyKline said...

You rock. Hold your head high and don't let anyone EVER tell you that you're not good enough.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! As a Dad of many kids with a couple right around your age now, let me first tell you...that it's a Mom's job not to like your girlfriend. It's an extremely powerful instinct, especially in Moms of boys. At first, NO girl will ever be good enough for their boy. But kudos to you for sticking to your guns, remaining respectful, and riding out the storm. As time goes on, you'll win her over more and more. It's not easy for Moms to let go and trust me, when it comes time for you to have a MAJOR relationship and things like Marriage or anything comparably serious comes up, YOUR Mom will be feeling a lot of those feelings too. How much she let's you know, remains to be seen, but she'll feel it. You betcha'

Take Care and Congrats on the victory!

FMD